So take a good look at it: this is your next BDIF.
When I first read this card, I thought the attack said “this Pokemon,” but it clearly reads “your Pokemon.” Meaning ALL your Pokemon.
Zoinks! Ruh roh Shaggy!
There is no question in my mind that this is going to be one of the best decks in the format at worlds. With Max Elixirs, Order Pads, and Puzzles, this deck will abuse those cards even more than Buzzwole did. It’s going to be a rush to see who can throw down the most energy the fastest. That’s going to determine which Rayquaza deck wins worlds.
But let’s face it: 99% of us aren’t going to worlds. The reddit I follow has 20K+ subscribers. I know that there are thousands of – maybe ten thousand – people on PTCGO every night. How many worlds invites are there going to be? A couple hundred?
And don’t get me wrong – those of you who have earned it: I am jealous and live vicariously through you. I wrote on Pojo that I hope to someday have a Champions Festival card. If you read my writing on a regular basis, you may have noticed that I almost never use the word special – but I definitely used it in that review.
So don’t get me wrong, those of you who will be competing IRL in late August in this wacky crazy meta that is going to be all over the place, especially since Dragons Majesty comes out a week after rotation! Those PTCGO programmers are going to be busy! I am extremely envious and hope to someday be able to compete at the level you are.
But for now – I’m ready to move on. I’m ready to start living in a post Dragons Majesty meta. So I started to come up with a potential decklist for Rayquaza… and then I realized there were really four different archetypes for this monster:
Again, this list doesn’t include Elixirs or Puzzles or any other card that’s going to rotate out. My draw support engine is based on Tempest GX. I think the Cynthia Hala combo will give GREAT draw support throughout the game – it works great for my Zygarde FLI Drampa GX deck.
So clearly this is TOTAL theorymon – I have NO idea whether or not these lists will actually work. And there are definitely some very experimental ideas here:
- Beast Ring / Pheromosa / Xurkitree: I don’t know if this is a good idea or not, but I’m going to try it early on. If it doesn’t work, that’s six card slots you can easily free up.
- Ribombee: Might only be best in Magnezone. Might be a cut in the other lists.
- Dragonair: I think this is the least likely to succeed. If it didn’t work with Darkrai EX when it had Double Dragon energy, why would I think it will work now? I don’t know, but I want to give it a shot.
These are decklists based on September 1st rotation… but Dragon Majesty comes out on the 7th of September and, as you might expect, is LOADED with Dragon support:
- Zinnia is definitely a four of in all of these builds. It allows you to attach two Basic energy cards to a Dragon Pokemon if one of your Pokemon was KO’d in the prior turn.
- Drampa – might be a one of, has a single attachment attack that allows you to attach an energy from your discard to a Dragon Pokemon. Not as good as Latias though.
- Flygon – Magearna EX for Dragons – probably not enough room as it’s a Stage 2
- Altaria – twenty damage boost? Just add more energy.
- Dragon’s Talon – Baton is probably better.
- Lance Prism – maybe – if you had a Pokemon KO’d in the prior turn, put any two Dragon Pokemon on your bench. Great for evolution Dragons but probably not best for this deck.
So these are my ideas, at least there are some decklists and ideas out there for this ridiculously overpowered Pokemon.